The Art Inside the Art Center!
All weekend during the Art Fair, you can take part in hands-on art activities and see professional demonstrations by our amazing teaching artists! Come inside the Art Center, explore our amazing studios and get creative at the Art Fair! The OneAmerica Broad Ripple Art Fair happens once a year, but art making happens every day at the Art Center.
- Clay Olympics! Watch Art Center artists and students compete in clay-related feats of strength and skill!
- Raku Demonstrations: One of the oldest techniques for finishing pottery is also one of the most fun to watch.
- Studio Tours: Come see what students are working on and get a personal take on what it’s like to be a ceramics student at the Art Center.
- Glass Demonstrations: Come check out the hottest art studio in town. All day, our glass faculty and students will show you what this fascinating art form is all about.
- Blacksmithing Demonstrations: Blacksmithing is red-hot! Sculpture instructor Eric Shotwell is the friendly face at the forge.
- Steel Fabrication Demonstrations: Sparks fly in our sculpture studio. Students will show you how to create in 3D.
- Casting Demonstration/Pour: Come by towards the end of the day to see the excitement and teamwork in casting metal. A commemorative sculpture will be cast before your eyes.
- Woodturning Demonstrations: You’ll be amazed by the transformation of simple wood spun and shaped on the lathe. Chat with Art Center faculty about this technique and others offered in our very popular Woodworking Studio.
JEWELRY & METALSMITHING
- Fold Forming a Community: Try your hand at fold forming, a technique that bridges sculpture and jewelry making, and contribute to a collaborative artwork that will adorn the Jewelry & Metalsmithing Studio.
- Jewelry Demonstrations: From stone to glass to metal and more, this studio is almost like an Art Center within an Art Center. Come see all the possibilities as you meet the faculty and students.
- Printmaking Demonstrations: Our print shop artists will show you the fascinating process behind making multiples. Enter our raffle to win a print pulled at the fair!
PHOTOGRAPHY & DIGITAL ARTS
- Darkroom Tours: Check out one of Indy’s last active darkrooms and see why artists still fall in love with film.
- Art History Animation: YOU become te subject of fine art through interactive experiences in our digital lab. Whether you like to be in front of the camera or behind it, you’ll have tons of experimenting with the latest creative software!
- Community Masterpiece Chalk Mural: Drawing and Painting instructor Vandra Pentecost leads this art fair favorite. Lend a hand and leave your mark in chalk on this 30-foot mural.
- Action Painting!: Each morning of the fair you can channel your inner Jackson Pollock and collaborate with others around a large-scale canvas.
- Wax & Water: Enjoy encaustics (painting with wax) and intuitive watercolor demonstrations from the Art Center artists.
TEXTILES & FIBER ARTS
- Weaving and Spinning Demonstrations: Art Center faculty will show you the processes behind some of the fiber-based art you’ll see throughout the OneAmerica Broad Ripple Art Fair. Stop by and learn how you can start your journey in textiles!
YOUTH & TEEN
- Chalk Painting: Add a little water to your chalkboard drawings – this technique will bring out the expressionist in every age.
- Screenprint Patches: pull your own print onto a canvas patch and wear your love of art on your sleeve!
- Mixed Media Tide Pools: Start dreaming of summer by making an underwater scene using watercolors and sand. Then plan your artistic summer by checking out our Summer Camp schedule!